Summer is undeniably the best time to stroll along the seaside, relax and enjoy the warm coastal breeze, escape the city noise and bask in the sun to achieve that gorgeous summer glow.
Of course you can’t go on a holiday willy-nilly and expect it to be the best summer vacation you’ll ever have. Holidays must still be well-planned. And one of the musts in your planning is knowing what to pack.
Preparing for a holiday could be a headache to some and like many vacation-goers, over packing has been one of the reasons why one couldn’t fully enjoy their holidays.
More often than not, travellers tend to pack more than what they actually need. Admit it, we’ve probably all been down that lane before too. We’ve probably packed our entire closet for a holiday and realize that we’ve only been able to use 30-40% out of the all stuff we brought.
The key is to try to pack light and only include pieces that are versatile and that can be mixed and matched. Now you might say, “But I want to stay in style throughout my whole vacation.” You can! You can pack light, and still look stylish for all your holiday snaps.
So don’t stress! Packing for a beach holiday can be still be fun. Below is a list that may help you prep up and get going:
(Stylist tip #1!) Firstly- I highly recommend creating an outfit vision board prior to outfit planning for your vacation, either via Pinterest or magazine, this will help you get clear on the style that you are wanting and to gain inspiration to create the looks for your vaccay.
- Swimsuits – Swimsuits know no age! Your summer snaps wouldn’t be complete without a beach photo in your best one or two piece.
- Cross body bag – Functional, handy, and chic. Choose a bag that would be all of these for you. You bag will give you the freedom of movement and store your valuables such as wallets and cellphones.
- Summer hat – Pack a brimmed hat wide enough to give you the protection you need. Plus! With a chic pair of sunglasses, your summer OOTDs are complete. *wink*
- Tote bag – You can carry this on board so it wouldn’t take space in your luggage. Aside from securing your personal items, it is especially handy for the souvenirs you’ll find on the way.
- Sunscreen – Being sun-safe should still be one of your top priorities.
(Stylist tip #2!) So an easy no brainer tip to know what to pack is to understand what it is exactly that you are doing while you’re away and the weather conditions e.g.; outdoor sports/adventures, family outings, cocktail bar, casual restaurants, fine dining restaurants etc..
As well as the type of weather conditions; very hot, mild temperatures, cold, cold inside/outside (for this you might need layers like a cardi or jacket).
- Romper Playsuit/Jumpsuit– Cute, lightweight and comfortable! Rompers are versatile and they’re a vacation must-have!
- Maxi dress – Flattering, easy to wear and could be sexy and conservative at the same time.
- Midi dress – For a smooth outfit transition from day-to-night.
- Flowy dress – Breathable, and could provide enough coverage for those who easily burn.
- Maxi skirt – Breezy, stylish and goes well with swimsuits.
- Wrap skirt – These could be excellent as a bikini bottom cover.
(Stylist tip #3!) A great tip that a lot of people don’t end up doing, is to try on your outfits beforehand to make sure that all pieces 1. Still fits properly, 2. Your pieces style easily together, and 3. Making sure that your pieces are easy to care for while you’re away e.g.; does the item crease easily so will you need dry cleaning or get away with ironing?
- Denim skirt – Excellent to pair with your sneakers when you go souvenir shopping.
- Shorts – Cute and comfy. Perfect for strolls around the town.
- White shirt – Nothing beats basic. A white shirt can be paired with almost every bottom.
- Knit top /Tank top/Cami– Sleek and sophisticated. Pair with a flowy skirt or mix and match with different items.
- Cardigan – Throw a cardi on when it gets chilly or windy. Especially during those night walks on the beach. *wink* A cardi is a great light layer which is great for when it gets chilly, windy or when you’re stepping into a freezing cold air-conditioned room.
- One-piece Bikini – Classy, sexy, and never goes out of style. You can wear both a swimsuit and bodysuit as a top with shorts, skirt or sarong.
- Bodysuit Bikini – Can double-duty as a top (as long as it’s dry), pair it with your shorts then you’re good to go.
- Sneakers – Wear these on board so you wouldn’t have to pack them in your suitcase. These are also great for walking around town or doing adventures outside your resort. Style them with a pair of shorts and a tee etc.
- Sandals – No one could go wrong with a neutral coloured pair of comfy sandals.
- Block heels – Grab a pair for an instant glam-up.
(Stylist tip #4!) The key to packing light is ‘Versatility’ and without it, you’ll be paying a large hefty tax on extra luggage and additional and unnecessary weight to lug around. So I recommend mixing and matching your pieces together where possible.
Summer holidays are something to look forward to especially if you want to de-stress and take time off from the busyness of the metropolis. There is a wide range of splendid coastal destinations out there for you to enjoy, so take your pick and make the most out of your summer holiday!
I’m Josephine Eve,your personal fashion stylist based in Sydney (and online). I’m here to empower you with confidence by helping you to embrace your body in your best outfits, by creating a staple, versatile and comfortable wardrobe for you that is flattering, whilst helping you nail your signature style, so that you can feel and look more confident in your stylish self every day! #winning! @josephine_eve_stylist